Groove Strategy Group helps clients develop and execute pragmatic growth strategies that capitalize upon market, customer and competitive opportunities.
We help determine what it will take to win, develop the business case for investment and move an organization forward.
Our Strategy work includes:
We help our clients to formulate a winning growth strategy that enables company leadership to guide their organization.
With ever changing market conditions, and constant pressure to find ways to grow, companies need to ensure they have clear strategic direction.
Clients call us in such situations as:
- Flat or declining sales growth or margins
- Loss in market share
- A change in leadership or ownership
- A stale or unclear strategy
- An ambition to enter an adjacent market
- An increasingly challenging competitive landscape
- A desire to grow by acquisition, but an unclear understanding of the problems to solve through acquisition(s)
Our approach is based on a combination of proven frameworks and our experience helping middle and lower-middle market companies successfully develop winning growth strategies.
Growth Strategy Approach
Mission, Vision and Goals
- Clear definition of the company’s mission and a forward-looking vision
- Baseline performance and strategic positioning
- Articulation of goals that inform strategic choices
Where to Play
- Determining the right combination of strategic choices:
- End Market(s)
- Target Customer Segment(s)
- Products and Services
Play to Win
- Definition and delivery of value proposition(s) aimed at “Where to Play” choices
- Clear positioning to win against the competition
- Capability requirements to execute
Organize to Win
- Setting up the organization to win given the “Where to Play” and “Play to Win” choices
- Strong focus on customers and what the company has to be good at to deliver value
Adapted from “Playing to Win” by A.G. Lafley and Roger L. Martin and based on Groove Strategy Group’s experience.
Many companies struggle with strategy execution.
Clients call us when they experience challenges such as:
- Strategy translation loss or ambiguous direction on the new strategy
- An inspiring vision and strategy that does not match the financial targets, resulting in a lack of commitment or disbelief
- Excessively top-down mandates that lack input, ownership and accountability from the organization
- Under-resourcing and conflict with ‘day jobs’
- Pressure for results exceeds the time to develop or strengthen capabilities needed to execute on the strategy
- Incentives mis-alignment
Benefits to our clients include:
- Faster time to ROI
- Greater clarity and conviction on the path forward
- Objective calibration on ambitions, goals, targets and timing
- Reduced risk of a bad start to execute the strategy
- Independent perspectives on what it will take to succeed
- Identification and help with change management issues that can derail execution
Strategy Execution Approach
- Clear articulation of a growth strategy into goals, workstreams, projects and targets
- Execution guidance, including non-negotiable items
- A core team to push the pace of execution, help coordinate, and solve issues
- Toolkit rollout
- Mobilization of teams to get work done
Planning and Execution
- Detailed planning and cross-functional coordination
- Project approvals
- Execution and ownership of projects
- Reporting and progress tracking
- Change management and communications support
- Hand-off and embed into day jobs
Let's Get Started
Contact Groove Strategy Group to discuss how we can help your company grow profitably.